Sunday, January 12, 2014

Experimenting with embossing paste

For the longest time I didn't have any embossing paste and was just using gesso which gave a bit of a different finish.  With some help from a crafty friend, I managed to hunt some down in the city and did some experimenting.  I made my own stencil using one of the feather dies from Wplus9.  Here's what I came up with:
My first one was a little too thick but I still added some Stickles Rock Candy glitter anyhow.  I used one of the Irrestible Ikat (PTI) sentiments with Smokey Gray Versafine.
 You can see the sparkly glitter a bit better here in the photo above.
Here are some others I made with a thinner layer of embossing paste:

 And all the cards together as a little set:
What have you done lately with embossing paste?  Have you given it a try?
----
Check out my sale of some craft supplies (stamps, impression plates etc) here:
http://cardsbycara.blogspot.ca/2013/06/crafty-sale.html
----
Supplies:
Paper: Staples 110lb white
Stamps: PTI Irresistible Ikat
Ink: Versafine Smokey Gray
Misc: embossing paste from art store, WPlus9 feather die, Ranger Rock Candy Stickles dry glitter

4 comments:

Tonya said...

These are awesome Cara!

nancy said...

Just popped over from the PTI forum. These cards are wonderful, a fabulous combination of classic, chic and artsy.
I've used both embossing paste and light molding paste and found them to be very similar. I tend to use it for background items on my cards rather than as a focal point as you did. I need to play with it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Kathryn A said...

I also just came over from the forum to have a closer look. I love how these turned out! I live in BC, but no Michaels nearby, so I've ordered some embossing paste from SSS. It should be here Monday--can't wait to try it. I ordered white, translucent and pearlescent. They have many others, such as metallics, too.

merryf said...

What a wonderful idea to use a die as a stencil -- these came out lovely, especially with the shimmer in them. I got a version of the paste at Michael's called Liquitex Light Modeling Paste; after seeing your cards I can't wait to try this technique!